Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Flower Making Tutorial


I have been asked by several people to do
a tutorial on how I make my flowers.
So here we go !!! I thought I'd show you how I made
the Leaves and flowers in the card above
Please bear with me it is very photo heavy !!!

I used the Majestic Morning Flower Stamp and die,
The Open Leaf stamp set and Classic Leaf die


   

First of all we need to make a mask of the die. 
Take a piece of card and tape the die to it
using a low tack tape. 


Run this through your die cutting machine.
Remove the flowers and you will have this attached 
to your die. DO NOT remove it.


Now take another piece of card.
 I use a lightweight card, sadly it isn't weighted
but the heavier you use the harder it is to shape.
And the lighter it is the easier it is to tear when shaping !!! 
The Heartfelt Creations paper pads do
make fantastic flowers ! 
Stamp the image onto the card.


Take your die and mask and lay the mask over the stamped image.
Line it up so that the die will cut exactly around the image.
Adhere the mask and die down to the image with low tack tape 
so that the mask doesn't move.


Run this through your die cutting machine.
It will cut the flowers out like below.


Now take your flowers and colour them up.
First of all I go over the centres applying
a light colouring using ink.


I then apply heavier ink around the edges to give a shading.


When all your flowers are coloured they need to be shaped.
Take your shaping tool and mat.
Turn the flower so the back is facing upwards and
in a gently circular motion shape each petal.
The flower will curl upwards.


When you have shaped all the petals,
turn the flower over so the inked side faces up.
Using a circular motion shape the centre of the flower.
This allows the petals to come upwards whilst still
curving outwards.


Now heat up your glue gun and with hot glue 
fill the centre of your flower.


Pour beads onto the Hot glue while still hot !
And leave to dry. Remove any excess beads.
I use a tray to do this part with so that the beads
don't go everywhere !


Now using glitter glue,
Glitter the edges of the flowers.


Now for the leaves ..........
Use the same process to make a mask and cut out a stamped image.
Again using ink, colour very lightly over the die cut.


Now using heavier ink, just colour the edges of the leaves.
Your fingers get very messy !!!


To shape the leaves lay the leaf down so the white side
is face up. Using gentle circular motions
shape each leaf so that they curl up.


Now turn the leaf over and gently smooth along the 
stalk of the leaf so that the whole leaf lays flat
with each leaf still curved.


And there you have it !
All you then need to do is adhere 
your flowers and leaves to your project !
Here is the card from the beginning to remind you !


Hope that helped.
Happy Crafting !


44 comments:

  1. Oooh Fabulous!! I'm definately going to get this stamp and due set now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is awesome Nicole!!! Great tutorial....thanks!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! Thank for the tutorial.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut the front door, girl this is gorgeous and you make it sound so easy to get those beautiful flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always LOVE your flowers, Liz! Awesome tutorial! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are always stunning...and this was a wonderful, clear and informative tutorial. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stunning stunning stunning!!! thanks for sharing your talent xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what kind of beads are you using...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! The beads I use are Guttermann. They have a lovely sheen on them! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial. Can't wait to try this out. Beautiful flowers

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are absolutely lovely, not quite like my effort. Could you let me know what you are using for colouring, eg pens or inks and also what your using on your fingers. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am using ink to colour with and the item on my finger is a ink dauber, usually sold in packs of three for about £3. I just find it easy to apply the ink on the flowers with it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful tutorial Liz, TFS! Your flowers are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can You tell me what the purpose of the mask is? I make these same flowers and don't use a mask. I have seen instructions on the Heartfelt site using a mask but never understood why. Thanks Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! Thank you for stopping by! The mask is to ensure the die cuts in the right place so all the flowers come out cut around the outline of the stamped image. So glad you have these too they are just so great to make!

      Delete
  13. Wow, love love love the purple you picked. These are beautiful, thanks for taking the time to explain all the steps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!!! I can't wait to use pretty beads in the centers of my flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic flowers- thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you so much, I have these dies but didnt like my efforts, will try again now, thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Przepiękne kwiaty, dziękuję za kurs.Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Outstanding ending! I do not have the die, but would really like to purchase just for this tutorial! I know you can do other wonderful things too! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tutorial project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very good demo I love the color that you have used. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work, easy to follow tutorial. What color ink did u use to stamp the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The ink I used was called Mettalic Lavendar and it's a Hobbycraft own brand.

      Delete
  21. Truly stunning flowers Liz, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous and thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous tutorial, my flowers never look like this! I'm going to have another try as I love this Heartfelt Creations die and stamp set x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the tutorial. I am ordering the stamp set and die today, and I can't wait to start using them. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for tutorial It is really helpfull.

    Marjeta

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one truly amazing card. I found your instructions to be very easy to follow. Thanks for the Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for tutorial, awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful work So inspiring! Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, your flowers are really stunning. How sweet of you to share how you work your magic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you using something like an Accucut or Cricut or Silhouette to cut these out. I don't own anything like that. But I love your tut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! No I've used the dies that match the flowers from heartfelt Creations. Hugs x

      Delete
  31. Hi Lizzie! I'm not sure if you'll get this comment since so much time has passed between now and when you posted this article. I'm still very confused about the mask. I did read your answer to Debbie, but I still don't understand. I have some Heartfelt Creations stamps and dies and after stamping onto card stock, I simply place the die on top of the stamped images, lining them up carefully, and then use my Big Shot to cut them out. Is your goal to end up with two sets of the cut images? I'm sorry to be so dense! Thanks so much for sharing how you create your beautiful flowers!
    Barb Flavin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, the dies have changed since I did this tutorial! You are quite rughtvall you now do is lay the die over the image and tape down and die cut! It's been made easier! Huge hugs xxxx

      Delete
  32. Liz, could you please tell me the colour of inks you used, and the brand? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI I used a distress ink. Dusty Concord. Hugsbx

      Delete

I would love it if you left a comment ! Thanks for looking, happy crafting.